Monday, January 17, 2005

Poetic feeling, dream feeling

Thoughts about poetic feeling vs. definition.

To make sense of dreams I have tried several strategies, and ended up with: re-entering the dream when I remember it. That is, I try to re-experience it in order to make sense of it, not reduce it to preconceptions about symbols (in formal terms this probably amounts to a phenomenological approach).

Especially in some dreams (the ones that feel very real) a transmission of meaning or experience seems to be taking place. When I re-enter the dream in a state of normal consciousness, the transmission restarts. The dream itself doesn't restart, but the discharge of the dream continues.

It reminds me of Blanchot's observation that in the poetic mode there returns in the future what remained unstated in the present. Perhaps the dream mode and the poetic mode have this in common.

No comments: