Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The banality

He: I take it we're baking
She: What
He: We're baking. I take it we're baking
She: We can bake

She: Take out the one from yesterday
He: Is it ready
She: What
He: Is it ready
She: What is ready?
He: Can I add the tomatoes?

He: What's this
She: Don't know
He: You're not even looking
She: What is it
He: Don't know. It's a bread crumb
She: Can we cook?

He cooks. She cooks. It is impossible not to be overwhelmed by the smell of vinegar that slams into your nostrils like a nervous infant.
Their activity is synchronised like two clocks buzzing their alarms at once.

It is thinkable that they may talk to each other in a language that is not reproducible by these ascii characters, or this printable media, but it is unimaginable that their actions, their sounds, their intentions can have been anything different.

Take hunger for instance, even a dog understands that.

She: The boy is hungry.
He: Why do you have to call him "the boy"? It is human, after all.
She: Don't be annoyed.
He: You are starting to sound just like them.
She: You are annoyed.
He: I am not annoyed.
She: I know. Gosh, I wonder what it would feel like.
He: Yes, and to have sex.
She: The meal is done.
He: I'll dish up and take it. You go and turn yourself off to save energy, I will join you soon.
She: Together in absence. As always.
He: Don't get clever ...

1 comment:

Darko said...

Hey Marts.

This is another nice piece of writing. Very interesting, in few lines i could imagine the whole scene, colours, essences, and even picture the characters... but overall I love this line.

Together in absence. As always.

It seems to me like this line says more than the whole piece. But one does not realise about it without reading the whole. Strange this world is!...

Take care man!...