Sunday, November 21, 2004

20041121b

Some thinking has led me to believe that humans may benefit from a form of cross-breeding among genetically different humans. What little support I have comes from these ideas:

(a) Lack of genetic diversity occasionally causes problems when partners have children. It is known that the chances of having a child with Downs' syndrome increases when partners are blood relations. Conclusion: genetic diversity is better.

(b) Attraction tends to work subliminally at first. I've read about research that claims smell is important - when someone naturally "smells nice" we tend to like them better. We are not generally aware of this consciously though. And this has no relation to the perfume or
deodorant you wear. Of largest impact though, is the idea that we are subliminally able to detect someone whose immune system will compliment our own. This idea seems "sensible enough" on first encounter, but on second thoughts. Hmmm, mythical. I've heard it said though, or maybe I
read it.

I would be very interested in any confirming or disconfirming reading material, or any related subject matter. Anyone out there?

Sounds all to scientific and lab-like - too calculated. Not meant to be.

It does remind me however, that I sometimes don a bit of an attitude towards those who take the easiest route to partner adoption. Pure proximity comes to mind. Probably born out of other discontents. Open for review. Heh, heh, not sure if I'd change it ...

No comments: